Emotional intelligence is the ability to recognise, control and understand your emotions and the emotions of those around you. It is a vital trait in all aspects of life and one many of us will take for granted.
The World Economic Forum, cites emotional intelligence as one of the top 10 sought-after skills at work. So, what exactly is it, do you have it and how do you get more of it?
Top tips to boost your emotional intelligence:
- Identify and eliminate stress - If you're stressed, then it's harder to read a situation accurately and respond to emotional cues in your team.
- Use all your senses to reduce your stress levels - This includes:
- Visual - for instance, by looking at an uplifting view, a piece of artwork or treasured photograph
- Sound - such as, listening to music or natural sounds from nature (birdsong or the sea)
- Smell - for example, using scented candles or strong citrus smells to reinvigorate you
- Touch - like, a stress ball, stroking a pet, and so on
- Taste - such as, chewing gum, getting a coffee, eating crunchy snacks, and so on
- Movement - for instance, using mindfulness meditation or exercise
- Slow down and get in touch with your feelings - Rate your feelings every day and pinpoint the underlying reasons behind any extreme emotions. This will increase your self-awareness.
- Share any difficult emotions with trusted people - Stress can build up if you don't take time to process difficult emotions.
- Practise active listening - Stay focused, listen carefully, and maintain eye contact to improve your communication skills; learn to accurately interpret others' body language.
- Get creative - Use humour and play to make a genuine connection with others.
- Don't mask your emotions - If you conceal your emotions from others, you won't be seen as 'authentic' and others may perceive you as 'aloof'
- Seek a win-win outcome from any conflict - Show a mature approach to conflict by avoiding blame, punishment and revenge, and agreeing to disagree.
Looking for more compliance insights?
If you'd like to stay up to date with best practices, industry insights and key trends across regulatory compliance, digital learning, EdTech and RegTech news subscribe to Skillcast Compliance Bulletin.
To help you navigate the compliance landscape we have collated searchable glossaries of key terms and definitions across complex topics including GDPR, Equality, Financial Crime and SMCR. We also track the biggest compliance fines, explaining what drives them and how to avoid them.
You can follow our ongoing YouGov research into compliance issues, attitudes and risk perceptions in the UK workplace through our Compliance Insights blogs.
Last but not least, we have 60+ free compliance training aids, including assessments, best practice guides, checklists, desk-aids, eBooks, games, handouts, posters, training presentations and even e-learning modules!
If you've any questions or concerns about compliance or e-learning, please get in touch.
We are happy to help!