A report released by the Fire Statistics Team for the Home Office makes for some sober reading.
Fire statistics from the UK Home Office
- There were 303 fire-related fatalities in England in 2015/2016
- Fire and Rescue Services (FRSs) attended 528,700 incidents in England alone, of which 162,000 were fires
- There were 7,644 non-fatal casualties with 43% needing hospital treatment
The publication focused on trends in fires, fire-related fatalities, fire-related casualties, false alarms and non-fire incidents attended by fire and rescue services in England between 2015 and 2016.
Top tips to manage the risk of fire at work
- Be vigilant - know what fire safety measures and procedures are in place and attend any training which is arranged for you.
- Good housekeeping - follow good housekeeping practices (such as discarding waste promptly, keeping corridors clear, etc) to reduce the risk of fire.
- Pay attention at practice drills - it's not an excuse to skip work or take a break. Important information is provided which may save your life.
- Watch out for potential sources of ignition - such as chemical reactions, a discarded cigarette, faulty equipment, heat from processes (e.g. welding), etc.
- Report anything wrong with safety measures - e.g. missing extinguishers, blocked exits or faulty alarms.
- Warn others - if you spot a fire, sound the alarm to warn others to get out. Help visitors and anyone with special needs during an evacuation.
- Stay at the assembly point - in an evacuation, wait until the roll call. If you wander off, people in charge may think you're still inside the building.
- Make Health and Safety training compulsory - for all of your employees. Awareness of health and safety procedures can prevent injuries and save lives. Take adequate measures by ensuring all your staff complete e-learning training on how to work safely.
Want to learn more about Health & Safety?
If you'd like to stay up to date with health & safety best practices, industry insights and key trends across regulatory compliance, digital learning, EdTech and RegTech news, subscribe to the Skillcast Compliance Bulletin.
To help you navigate the compliance landscape we have collated searchable glossaries of key terms and definitions across complex topics including GDPR, Equality, Financial Crime and SMCR. We also regularly report key learnings from recent health & safety fines.
You can follow our ongoing YouGov research into compliance issues, attitudes and risk perceptions in the UK workplace through our Compliance Insights blogs.
And if you're looking for a compliance training solution, why not visit our Health & Safety Microlearning Course Library?.
Last but not least, we have 60+ free compliance training aids, including assessments, best practice guides, checklists, desk-aids, eBooks, games, handouts, posters, training presentations and even e-learning modules!
If you've any questions or concerns about compliance or e-learning, please get in touch.
We are happy to help!